Policy & Legal Services
The division works to enhance policy and legal capacity so the Ministry can have all necessary legal mandates and fisheries policies to enable effective management of Cook Island marine resources. Division staff consists of the director, a legal & policy officer, and media consultant.
- Ensure appropriate legal and policy frameworks governing the Ministry and marine resources sector are in place.
- Ensure coordinated delivery of marine monitoring, control and surveillance operations and that licensing register system is in place.
- Ensure consistent national policy towards international and regional obligations.
- Support media and public awareness programmes.
- Provision of sound legal advice on issues emanating from MMR related activities.
- Administering the Ministry of Marine Resources Act 1984.
- Implementing and enforcing the Marine Resources Act 2005 and the various Regulations that govern offshore and inshore marine resources activities.
- Developing cooperative arrangements with various Ministries that we share common interests with
- Liaising with the Forum Fisheries Agency (FFA) and the Western Central Pacific Fisheries Commission (WCPFC) and other Regional Fisheries
- Management Organizations with regard to regional and international matters that affect our fishery.
- Supporting marine awareness and information raising for both educational and public purposes – notable calendar events include Lagoon Day, Careers Day and World Food Day.